Thursday 11 March 2010

Raki



Tas
72 Borough High Street
London SE1 1XF

I had assumed, having already survived Absinthe, Pastis, Sambuca, Ouzo and Pernod, that I'd tasted every anis liqueur and spirit known to man. Then I spotted Raki on the menu at a Turkish restaurant and realised I still had work to do. I've since learnt that this grape-based spirit is Turkey's national drink, known sometimes as "lion's milk" or, even better, "the milk of the brave". This one (43% abv) was served with a glass of water and ice so I could dilute to taste - and a good job too. Straight, it was too syrupy and sweet, but with (plenty of) water, the liquid clouded and the drink became more refreshing and rounded, a decent digestif. Not sure how this particular £4 serving might compare with others (I wasn't privy to the brand) but I'd be willing to try the stuff again, particularly after a large plate of grilled meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment