Tuesday 2 March 2010

Blush Orange Juice



Occasionally I like to pull out my electric citrus press and press some citruses. Three blush oranges yielded a single glass of sweet red-coloured juice that knocked the socks of the stuff-from-a-carton and set about reviving me from the night before. I suppose any freshly squeezed fruits are better than none, but Waitrose really raised their own bar when they described "the luscious sweetness and distinctive ruby tint" of their "unique" Sicilian oranges grown "in the foothills of Mount Etna". Only one of the three (from a net-bag of four) produced vibrantly ruby-red juice when squeezed; the others were more ordinarily orange, and the overall taste still too tart to achieve "luscious sweetness" lift-off. I blame myself for having eaten the sweetest oranges I have ever tasted - in Texas - a couple of weeks before. When it comes to oranges, sunshine is evidently more important than volcanoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment