Wednesday 4 August 2010

Talisker Oyster



The Whitstable Oyster Festival was occurring, and so to Whitstable we went. Deliciously fresh oysters -50p each, £6 for a dozen - plucked from the seas, shucked right in front of us and served on a bed of ice with a wedge of lemon. Standing outside, with a fine view of the harbour, I realised it was time to pull out my magic ingredient - a phial of Talisker 10-year-old. I know - odd idea - but it came strongly recommended from a guy who knows about these things. Drizzling a few drops of whisky onto an oyster, before knocking the whole lot back, added a strangely tasty peatiness. The alcohol was barely noticeable, but the flavour penetrated. I tried it once with the whisky and a few drops of lemon juice, which also worked out quite nicely too. Next year I'm heading back with a few more samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment