Thursday 10 December 2009

Scotch Whisky




I did try to restrain myself. But given the chance to drink unlimited whisky at someone else's expense for a couple of hours I got rather carried away.

Consequently, while I managed to catch most of the names of the Scotches I imbibed, I can't remember much about any of them, particularly those I tasted towards the end of the evening.

Memorable standouts would have to include the Lagavulin 16-year-old, an Islay malt (pictured above) whose finish has been described by Whisky Magazine as a "huge, powerful, bear-hug of peat".

Another highlight was a 10-year-old Ledaig, a pale coloured peat monster hailing from the Isle of Mull. I also seem to recall enjoying a Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish, although I'm told by witnesses I was having trouble pronouncing its name by that stage.

For starters, we were offered a Christmas cocktail of Grants blended whisky, milk, cream, white chocolate syrup and ice (right), which I might try making at home sometime. Perhaps next Christmas, when I may be ready to drink whisky again.

No comments:

Post a Comment